good times

Saturday, June 13, 2009
i wish i came up (was a teen/young adult) in a different decade. i think ive narrowed it down to the 70s. i couldnt have done the 60s because i would not be able to deal with King's death and the rioting that insued. the 50s were still too racist for me to handle, as was any time prior. i grew up in the 90s and i love everything about that. being born in the 80s i think i only missed out on the bright colors but i dont miss how they were worn. the fashion was pretty much the worst. the 80s would have been fun for me for about 6 months. 

the 70s were all about that impowerment, enlightenment, peace, etc. i could have gotten down with that. and those 'fros! never was able to get my hair like that but i bet i could have back then. i would have known the right thing to do and my texture wouldnt have been ruined by excessive pressing. i could get with the clothes. ive seen some FIERCE 'fits from that era. and the music! the most beautiful music is from that time. i probably have just as many songs from the 70s in my itunes as i have from all the other decades since. 

one of my gripes about the 70s is that the guys were just too skinny. dont know if i could get with that. outside of that, cant think of too much i wouldnt like. the 70s would have been alright with me. this was before the HIV/AIDS epidemic. this was prior to crack being big. weed probably wasnt even laced with a whole bunch of other trash. seems like time a lot less complicated than today. 

3 thought(s):

T said...

I would have been fierce as hell is the 70s. Um hm... can't tell me nothing!!!

LOL!

Phyllis Bourne said...

Take it from someone who was there, the 70s clothes sucked. Itchy, sticky polyester, ugly colors. Now those godawful maxi dresses are making a comeback.

Glitter. Disco. I'm having a bad flashback, you make have to stick a spatula in my mouth to keep me from swallowing my tongue.

Everything about you is so fresh and modern. You are way too cool for the 1970s.

antithesis said...

aww, so sweet. i forgot about polyester. i would DIE in an outfit made of that. the movies make it look like so much fun. i bought a maxi dress. didnt like them last year but i saw one i wasnt too short for and it was a pretty color so i got it.

this post was spurred by a viewing of "unsung" about minnie riperton. she made the 70s look glamorous!