in all my years of school...

Friday, October 16, 2009
i never really learned how to study. in cognitive psychology i learned about stuff like "state-dependent learning". the principle behind that is, you are more likely to recall information in the same way you learned it so if you study after a night a drinking, your best case scenario is to go out drinking the night before your test as well. also, you should study material in random order since it's likely to not appear in the order it was taught on the test. example: the test is over chapters 1, 2, 3, and 7 and it was probably presented in class in that order but it might not necessarily appear on the test in that order. so, study the chapters in random order.

i tested that one out in undergrad. friday, i did it in the order it was taught. saturday, chapters 7, 2, 1, 3. sunday, reverse order. i got an A and studied that way for the rest of my undergrad career. too bad i didn't know about that until Junior year and didnt have many tests left.

and those are my only study tips. do you have any?

2 thought(s):

Don said...

when i did study i always went the word association route. memorized, and usually passed with flying colors. although i can remember not really knowing anything about that particular subject.


on another note, how bout them saints. undefeated.

Product Junkie Diva said...

Interesting post. I taped a few of my classes because I wanted to perfect my notes. That process didnt last long even though I did really well on the exams, but I would have been an idiot to have done poorly since I had every word from the professor..lol
DON is in the building i see...hey Don.