so...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008
...no one is going to say anything about this? well i will. so i went to see The Dark Knight and a preview for robert downey jr's next movie comes on. in this movie he is playing a black man. i'm sure it's a running joke through the film because he is playing a man who is playing another man. but i'm not laughing. the movie is supposed to be a comedy and not taken seriously. but i can't help but be bothered that there is a possibility that someone thinks doing black face is funny...i disapprove. but maybe that's just me. Robert Downey Jr. plays a black man in Tropic Thunder

i'm not holding a double standard either; White Chicks was obnoxious and unfunny. i dont understand why so many people liked that crap. did it hurt anyone's feelings? probably not. will this movie? again, probably not. i just don't like where this is going. 

young black kids may view this and find it funny and i can't help but think they are laughing at their own history. am i overreacting?

4 thought(s):

♔Jaimie said...

Maybe just a tad, I don't find the concept of black face funny, but in this setting and context I don't think its going to be tooo bad. From the trailers I've seen, what I gather is that they are not making fun of black people with it, but making fun of the acting industry by actors going to extremes to win awards (I think thats who downey jrs. character is supposed to be, a big oscar winner) I dunno, In another situation it could be upsetting, but I don't find it too upsetting. Just my thoughts, girl lol

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

Hmmm, thanks for enlightening me on this upcoming film. I haven't seen any trailers or heard anything about this movie. I'm about to go look it up now. To me seeing a white man made up to be a black man is usually 99.9% offensive to me.

Good post!

T said...

They didn't show this trailer when I went to see Batman. I actually don't have a problem with it. I don't think he's making fun of Black people or misunderstanding Black people or degrading Black people, so it doesn't bother me too much.

MSJNT said...

The character that he plays is an Oscar winning actor who do anything for the roles he creates. He wanted to protray a black man so he undergoes a radical procedure. So the bases of the movies is that these are actors in a movie when reality sets that this ia a real war that they are fight. I saw the preview dueing Iron Man and it was quite funny because there is another Black actor who bust his chops about playing black.

My thought are that these aren't the normal. I don't feel that we are being made fun of. There are plenty of movies that I know about being in white face or passing. It is a comedy, after all.